Free, confidential case review — no cost to you Have questions? Contact us →
News · Legal Claims

Johnson & Johnson Proposes $5.5 Billion Settlement to Resolve Nearly All Remaining Talc Lawsuits

Published August 3, 2026

Johnson & Johnson announced on July 28, 2026 that it has proposed a $5.5 billion settlement to resolve roughly 76,000 remaining talcum powder lawsuits, covering nearly all of the claims still pending against it in the federal multidistrict litigation in New Jersey along with related state court cases. Plaintiffs in these cases allege long-term use of J&J's talc-based baby powder and other talc products caused ovarian cancer or mesothelioma.

The offer is conditioned on at least 95% of the remaining claimants agreeing to participate — a bar J&J says it has already cleared in prior rounds of settling mesothelioma claims, state consumer-protection suits, and disputes with talc suppliers. Under the proposed payment structure, J&J would pay up to $3 billion in an initial installment, with no further payments due until 2028.

The fourth attempt to close out the litigation

This is J&J's latest move after three earlier attempts to resolve the talc litigation through bankruptcy protection all failed. Its subsidiary, Red River Talc, proposed a $9 billion settlement through Chapter 11 proceedings that a bankruptcy judge rejected last year — the largest of several so-called "Texas Two-Step" maneuvers courts have turned away. Rather than appeal that ruling, J&J shifted strategy after a federal judge overseeing the MDL ordered plaintiffs to produce direct causation evidence, which company reporting indicates many were unable to supply.

J&J's worldwide litigation vice president, Erik Haas, said the settlement lets the company "put this matter behind it," while maintaining J&J denies its talc products caused cancer and believes it would have prevailed had the remaining cases gone to trial. J&J shares rose more than 2% in premarket trading the morning after the announcement.

What it means if you have a pending or potential claim

This proposal is separate from individual jury verdicts still being decided in courtrooms — including a $966 million mesothelioma verdict a California jury handed down earlier this year. A global settlement like this one typically moves through a claims-administration process rather than individual trials, but participation terms, eligibility, and payout amounts for specific claimants haven't yet been finalized or made public. If you used talc-based powder products and were later diagnosed with ovarian cancer or mesothelioma, a free eligibility review is the fastest way to understand how a settlement like this could affect your specific situation. See Atumio's Talcum Powder case page for a free, no-obligation review, or start your case review directly.

Sources: This article was written by Atumio based on news reporting, and is not legal advice. For more detail, see the original coverage: "Johnson & Johnson offers $5.5 billion to settle talc lawsuits" (CBS News, July 28, 2026) and "Johnson & Johnson proposes $5.5 billion talc settlement after $9 billion deal shot down by bankruptcy court" (Fortune, July 29, 2026).